Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th Of July

It's the 4th of July and Lea and I decided to stay home tonight with the dogs so they don't get freaked out hearing the big bangs from the fireworks show at the lake. On our way to Hardy this morning we passed this little celebration being set up at the Sinclair station in Cherokee Village ....



Later in the day it turned into quite the happening .... a live band, a "pretty girl" dunk tank, food, a few bouncy houses for the kids, and a train ride .... but we were early and moved onto Hardy where there was the bigtop tent with the fireworks ....



And we bought these ....



So we'll set them off tonight after we BBQ some ribs and the sun sets .... we might shoot some video and if so, I'll post that tomorrow.

On our way home we pulled into the campground (water and electric but no sewer that I can see), which is about 1/2 mile down the river from us .... it looked pretty peaceful for 4th of July ...



We'll see how the fireworks go tonight ... the hardest part is staying awake .... I hate that ... what happened to the days when we came alive at 9pm instead of going to bed?

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time and no "accidents" with your back yard fireworks. Back yard fireworks terrify me. A neighbor kid got very seriously hurt and his house almost burned down, when I was a kid. I prefer sitting on my front porch swing and watching the display going on at the high school. The ribs sound great. If I close my eyes and breathe deeply I can almost taste them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot - I wish I could lose the coming alive at 9pm stuff because I am tired of finally falling to sleep anytime between 1 and 3 and then sleeping until ten. I understand all drummers have that sleep pattern because of their gigs, but I don't have late night gigs. And we all know you can only go outside here in Arizona in the very early hours of the morning that I am currently spending sleeping. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backyard fireworks safety has come a long way since our childhood days of "Red Devil" fireworks. That's not to say that you still can't find a way to cause serious injury to someone with one. Lea and I and a friend went out into the desert one night on our ATV's with a load of fireworks. I was setting some rockets off in a launcher tube when one of the tubes fell down just after I lit it .... it shot off and went right between Lea and our friend who were sitting on their ATV's .... it was amazing ... I mean right between their heads! They said they could feel the shock waves as it passed. So, like everything else in life ... it's always a crap shoot .... if somethings gonna happen ... it's gonna happen.
    Sorry about whining about getting sleepy early in the evening .... for me it's a drag but for you it would probably be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete