Sunday, July 11, 2010

Silk Dying & Steaming

The morning was beautiful and we did a lot of outdoor stuff .... then it got a little hot .... then it cooled down and then a really big thunderstorm came in and it rained most of the afternoon .... it was a great afternoon to stay indoors and do some silk painting. I did 1 yesterday, 2 today and I was anxious to try the steam setting instead of using a chemical fixative. So here's a little photo summary .....

I tinted some resist and made a bunch of shapes .... waited about an hour for it to dry and then went into my zen zone painting all the colors ..... if you look closely, you should see Millie sleeping on the .... I mean "her" bean bag in the background ....



Meanwhile .... Lea patiently creates the most intricate and delicate drawings ....



So I wrapped up my 3 (not gonna experiment with Lea's ... that's for sure) in newsprint and aluminum foil like I'm going to bake a fish and put them into a roaster with a little rack I made to keep them out of the water and put that onto a 2 burner electric stove in the basement. I put a lid on and steamed them for an hour ....



Unwrapped them, rinsed them in cool water (very little dye came out .... yeaaaaaa) and hung them up to dry. I think I'm going to like steam setting, the colors are really intense and satisfy my psychedelic nature :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the silk strips--what talent!! What will you be doing with them when you finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! We plan on selling them at Art Fairs along with Lea's wood turnings and some other stuff. Ideally we'd love to spend our days involved in some sort of sellable art .... enough at least to pay the bills :)
    Lea got a new dust collection system .... we had to meet the freight truck in the Walmart parking lot because he couldn't navigate our small windy roads. She's in the basement right now working on setting it up so she can start wood turning again .... yeaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My step-daughter is a mixed-media artist in Seattle. She sells a lot of her stuff on the internet at ETSY. She gets orders from literally all over the world. She even conducts workshops and classes on the internet and gets paid for it. Her name is Carla Sonheim. Her blog is carlasonheim.wordpress.com. Her store is carlasonheim.etsy.com. Her email is carla@carlasonheim.com. She is a very nice woman and might be able to help you, as she says, "cobble together a living as an artist." She just had a book published that is selling very well on ebay and in her own etsy store. Because of writing the book and now promoting it, she doesn't have a lot in her store, but check it out. It seems like a perfect way to market your creations.
    I was not successful in fixing my link to your blog. When I click on your bookmark it immediately takes me to your blog. When I click on edit the delete button is very pale and doesn't do anything. So I've decided clicking on July over at the side is not too much work for me. Thanks, anyway.
    Your silks are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobbie .... that is so interesting. I had never heard of ETSY until this morning while I was googling "silk dying techniques". Now here it is 8 hours later and ETSY comes up again ..... I love when that happens .... I always view it like an omen and good things always happen. So thank you .... I will look into it for sure.
    I spent the day trying out new stuff .... I couldn't find much "out of the box" techniques on the internet so I'm doing my own experimenting. So far it's a lot of fun but I won't know until tomorrow when I steam them if it's ART or if it's ...... something else. I'll post my results :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete