Thursday, January 13, 2011

Icebound Days & Sydny

This mornings "deckvision"


The deer must be holed up someplace because we usually have a herd (is a group of deer a herd?) come through everyday to keep everything grazed down for us but they have been absent since the snow. Except for one single antlered buck that I happened to spot off the deck yesterday.

I was using a "point and shoot" camera so I was able to zoom in and see he was lacking an antler


Schools have been closed all week as have some city offices .... even the distribution center for Blockbuster (Lea rents her video games from them) for this region had to close down today because of the threat of frostbite .... no video game in the mail for her today :(. It was 8 degrees when I got up this morning but I can't imagine what it was with the windchill factor, although at 10am the local radio station said it was minus 4 with the windchill. Everything outside is frozen solid.

A lot of the snow managed to melt yesterday before it got even colder. I ventured out and noticed that my halloween pumpkins that I carefully laid to rest in the forest had re-emerged from beneath the snow ...


A few more photos I shot this afternoon including one of Lea and Millie ... we actually took the dogs for a walk ... it was beautiful so we really didn't mind the cold ....




It's always amusing to watch Sydny eat .... she's very .... hmmmm ..... enthusiastic about it I guess. She's now almost 5 months old and weighing in at 1.5 ounces! Wow! She's happy, healthy and sweet (unless you're a worm). Anyway ... I shot this little video of her this morning doing her usual "hunt" for breakfast routine .... enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Sydny is looking very healthy and happy--she is a fast little devil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and they say turtles are slow .... ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "deckvision" photo is beautifully composed and the colors are wonderful. You should sell this one in your on line store. As to your "herd" or deer. . . I used to have a wonderful book by James Lipton in which you could look up terms used for groups of various things and their origins. The terms are usually descriptive. Think of a pride of lions, a plague of locusts, a litter of pups. What you have on your front lawn is a bevy of deer, derived from the Old French "bevee" meaning drink or drinking. It was used by hunters when they saw a group of deer pausing to drink at a river or pond. If the deer or elk were especially fine looking, they were called a bevy of beauties. It eventually came into use referring to partying women. One of my favorites is an exaltation of larks. My mind is so full of trivia that I never have a need to use. Thank you for this opportunity to share my love of words. Enjoy your bevy of deer that grace your front lawn from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bobbie. . . I really love your insight . . . or trivia as you may call it. I am not a woman of words but I do appreciate the education . . . And I will embrace my new found knowledge :). The deer that come to graze in our yard are truely a fine bevy of beauties:)

    ReplyDelete