Sunday, January 16, 2011

Keeping Warm

We've been keeping warm but using a lot of wood .... still cheaper than propane. We've had to learn a new term for the quantity of firewood ..... "rick". In buying wood when we lived in Northern Calif., we always bought wood by the "cord". Nobody does that in these parts :) .... it's by the truckload or "rick". Here's what a delivered $45 "rick" of "seasoned" oak will get you ....


Added to what we already have we should be ok till spring. We have a "stash" in the backyard almost equal to what you see here ...


So Lea is making labels for her beer since she has 1 batch bottled and 2 batches in the fermentation process, it won't be long before she has 3 different brews ... all in brown bottles .... so labels became a necessity. She's sitting here in our "entry way" (the front door hallway that is used for wood storage and an inversion table) putting labels on her "Brown Ale". The paper is made for inkjet printers and has a lightly gummed surface on the back so that they will come off easily (hopefully).


The labels are a nice touch but the beer is the real star! It is soooooooo good! We've been splitting a bottle to drink with our sandwiches at lunch and I can honestly say that this batch of beer is the best I've ever had and I've downed a few "exotic" beers in my life. Oh .... here's a shot of this batches label ...


I watch Millie and Ozzie almost every night cuddle up on the couch together and share a blanket .... I watch as Ozzie goes through this "thing" he does with the blanket in his mouth and I watch as Millie allows her share of the blanket to get pulled away ... I watch this almost every night and last night decided to point my iPhone at them and capture this loving cuteness ....

4 comments:

  1. Love the beer labels. Wish I was there to taste it. The video is just wonderful of Millie and Ozzie. Isn't a shame that pit bulls and pit bull mixes are so mean??? Had to come back and add the non-word that came up this time in order to post. "petadu" How perfect is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbie .... I wish you were here to taste it too .... you would love it! There's really nothing better (in alcohol) than a really good beer. We're storing them in our un-entry way and it keeps them cold enough to drink without refrigeration .... and they're really better that way .... it's the Budweisers that you have drink really really cold to get down :)
    Yep ... you gotta beware of those mean cat killing Pit Bulls! Love "petadu" .. very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dragon on the label. I've sometimes wished I liked beer; maybe I've just tasted the wrong beers. Enjoyed the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a feeling you might like that label Jean :). I'm not a big fan of beer either but I really like a high quality beer such as this so I'm guessing you just might like it too. Glad you liked the video :). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete